Code of Conduct
Expectations for User and Visitor Conduct
The University of Texas at Tyler Robert R. Muntz Library is committed to providing users with a safe, welcoming atmosphere conducive to study and research. Users and visitors are expected to engage in behavior that does not interfere with these efforts. To ensure that all users and visitors are able to use the Muntz Library’s resources and services effectively, we require full compliance with the rules and regulations listed below. Entering the Libraries represents a tacit agreement to abide by these rules.
- Library users and visitors are to observe all posted rules of library use.
- Cell phones may not be used in quiet study areas; please turn off audible ringers in these areas.
- Furniture, equipment, and facilities are to be used in an appropriate manner and as designed. Aisles, walk spaces, and stairwells are to remain freely passable at all times.
- A parent or guardian must supervise children under age 16 at all times. Parent and child must be working at the same computer.
- UT Tyler Faculty, staff, students have priority use of computers.
- Preventing or limiting access to Library resources through theft, vandalism, or deliberate misplacement of materials.
- Defacing, destroying, or corrupting any of the Library’s information resources.
- Inappropriate use of the Internet that violates Library and University Computer Use Policies. Pornographic materials must not be intentionally accessed, created, stored, or transmitted other than in the course of academic research where this aspect of the research has the explicit written approval of an executive officer.
- Conducting disruptive meetings in the Library’s group study rooms or public spaces.
- Damaging equipment or furniture.
- Being in unauthorized areas of the Library, or remaining in the Library after closing, or when requested to leave during emergency situations or drills.
- Tampering with emergency mechanisms (fire alarms, alarms in elevators, or opening emergency exits in non-emergency situations).
- Using tobacco, alcohol or controlled substances.
- Using rollerblades, skateboards, or bicycles in the Library.
- Drinking from a container without a lid.
- Selling, soliciting, or distributing materials without prior approval of University Administration.
- Bringing animals into the Library, except for certified assistance animals.
- Any conduct that constitutes a violation of a federal, state, or local law, the Regents’ Rules and Regulations of The University of Texas System or the rules and regulations of the University.
- All portable items such as backpacks, bags, or briefcases may be subject to inspection by campus security officers and/or Library staff.
- Proper identification may be requested by any staff member and must be presented upon request.
- Users or visitors whose conduct or activities violate the above expectations will be asked to modify their behavior or leave the Library.
- Failure to comply with these rules and regulations may result in the loss of library privileges and possible legal consequences.
- Muntz Library Building Use Policy
- Muntz Library Computer Use Policy
- UT Tyler Information Resources Acceptable Use Policy
- University of Texas at Tyler Handbook of Operating Procedures
- UT System Policy for the Use and Protection of Information Systems and Communications (BPM 53-06-05)
Policies relevant to the above expectations include, but are not limited to, the following: