Seeking Student Poets: Submit Your Poems to Our Annual Student Poetry Contest
We want to invite all currently enrolled UT Tyler students to submit their original poems to our Student Poetry Contest. This event is part of the library's celebration of National Poetry Month during the month of April. The Academy of American Poets started the event in 1996, and since then, libraries, bookstores, schools, and other institutions join in to enjoy and celebrate poetry. The contest runs from today, Monday March 22, 2010 until Friday, April 2, 2010. Here are the rules for the contest:
- You need to be a currently enrolled UT Tyler student.
- Poems must be original, unpublished works.
- Poems must be written in English.
- Poems must be 60 lines or less.
- There is a limit of two poems per author. The limit is still 60 lines total (i.e. you could have a longer poem, or two shorter ones).
- Your name, telephone number, email address, and poem title are required. Please note that if your contact information is incorrect, your entry will be invalid.
- No entry fee is required. Yes, it’s free to enter.
- Copyright remains with the author. Entries will not be returned.
- Deadline: Submissions must be in no later than noon (12:00p) on Friday, April 2, 2010.
- Poems will be judged by a panel of two English Department faculty members, two librarians, and one award-winning poet from the Poetry Society of Texas.
- Awards will be presented at a program in Braithwaite Auditorium on Tuesday, April 13th.